4 GCSEs incl. Maths & English
16-18: Fully Funded
3 Week Work Placement
STUDY LEVEL 3 FASHION RETAIL
Our Level 3 Fashion Retail diploma course introduces you to the many career opportunities available within the fashion industry, teaching you the essentials of fashion retailing from head office to store.
Our fashion retail course encompasses areas including fashion retail management, communications, visual merchandising and more. This makes it the perfect course for those looking to explore the different functions of a fashion business before specialising further. You'll graduate prepared for further education or an entry-level position in the creative or business branches of industry.
- Explore the fashion retail environment from head office to customer purchase
- Get a three-week industry work placement to boost your CV
- Course equivalent to 3 A-Levels and worth up to 168 UCAS points
IN WORK OR STUDY
84% of our students are employed or continuing with their studies within 6 months of completing Level 3 Fashion Retail.
IN HIGHER EDUCATION
90% of our Level 3 Fashion Retail students who opted to continue their studies progressed to higher education.
WORKING 25+ HOURS A WEEK
80% of our students who opted to move into the industry began working 25 hours and above a week.
If you really love fashion, the Fashion Retail Academy is the school for you! You can fall in love with every project. You can pick your own pathway and tailor the course to match your personality and the things you love. In my three years here, I’ve made my best friend for life - I’m very sad to leave.
Tiana, Saturday Club and Level 3 Fashion Retail graduate
As soon as I saw the Fashion Retail Academy, I knew this was the place I needed to go! Everyone on my course is really friendly. We all help each other out and we’re like a big family. Being in the heart of London is so buzzy.
Daisy, Level 3 Fashion Retail
Before I left the Fashion Retail Academy, I did a work placement at French Connection's head office. I was offered a permanent position in their wholesale team as a sales executive, and I’m loving it. Without the FRA, I wouldn’t be where I am today!
Rachel, Level 3 Fashion Retail
I loved the Fashion Retail Academy! It has taught me so much, and I’ve had lots of industry experience. The college is very welcoming and supportive. I feel comfortable speaking to my tutor about anything, and the wellbeing team is great. I would 1000% recommend the Academy to anyone.
Leah, Level 3 Fashion Retail
Level 3 Fashion Retail offers an in-depth look at the fundamental functions of the fashion industry from head office to shop floor. It covers a wide range of subjects, helping you to choose from multiple pathways into higher education or employment.
Our Level 3 Fashion Retail diploma course explores the fashion retail environment as a whole. It gives you a comprehensive understanding of how fashion businesses are structured. You'll learn the role different departments play within a brand, and how they work together.
We’ll teach you a wide range of industry skills, from trend forecasting to fashion production, digital content creation to merchandising. It’s an excellent choice if you aren’t sure which area of fashion you’d like to work in. You'll develop a strong foundation for many careers including buying, visual merchandising, styling, marketing or retail operations.
Studying in the heart of London, you'll learn through a timetable of classes, workshops and practical sessions in our creative studio spaces. Throughout the course, you'll also work on projects set by major brands and receive personalised feedback from industry professionals - including our exclusive Industry Enterprise Initiative.
The Level 3 Fashion Retail course covers:
- Principles of Fashion Business and Retail: An introduction to the structure of a fashion retail business, and the role of each department in a brand
- Communication for Fashion Business and Retail: Develop professional communication and presentation skills in the context of fashion retail
- Critical and Contextual Awareness: Learn the history of fashion retail and the cultural, ethical and environmental influences which shape the industry
- Fashion Production and Supply Chain: Discover how garments are produced, and learn about the global supply chain and the increasing impact of new technologies
- Fashion Buying and Merchandising: An introduction to buying and merchandising. Learn how the two departments collaborate, and how they fit into the overall structure of fashion business.
- Fashion Management and Marketing: Examine the structure of a retail business in greater detail. Learn the importance of customer behaviour in marketing.
- Visual Merchandising for Fashion Retail: Discover how visual merchandising increases sales and profits for a brand. Learn the skills needed to succeed in this area.
- Collaborative Fashion Retail Project: Create and execute a fashion retail project focusing on a specific area; evaluate your own work and your classmates'.
- Specialist Study and Preparation for Progression in Fashion Retail: Identify which discipline you’d like to pursue by exploring your strengths and weaknesses, enthusiasms and ambitions.
- Fashion Retail Environments: Explore the factors and influences affecting the industry. Develop an understanding of consumers in different markets.
- Fashion Futures and Sustainability: Learn about the ethical and environmental impact of the international supply chain, and explore future developments and trends.
We're proud of our exceptional industry links at the FRA. All our tutors have worked in the industry, offering expertise and knowledge throughout your course.
We also work with over 140 industry partners helping you to develop a strong professional network to help you throughout your career. You’ll also take part in projects and challenges set by brands, and receive personalised feedback on your work.
three-week industry work placement
You’ll have the opportunity to complete three weeks of industry experience as part of your course. We'll assign you to an industry manager, and you'll work either remotely or in the office. You’ll be given tasks to complete, giving you an understanding of a specific job role and its place within an organisation. You could be working in a single team, or across multiple areas of the business. You might be alone, or working in a small group. You’ll earn practical, professional skills that give a valuable boost to your CV.
Previous students have completed placements with Fortnum & Mason, Next, John Lewis, Whistles and Harvey Nichols.
These quick challenges are designed to test your time management skills, requiring you to work to tight deadlines. Working in a small group, you'll be asked to find a solution to a challenge currently faced by the industry. A visiting industry expert will then critique and evaluate your work against industry standards, providing personalised feedback to provide you with real-world experience.
Many of our students progress into further education after finishing their Level 3 Fashion Retail diploma, starting Level 4 or undergraduate degrees.
When you successfully pass our Level 3 Fashion Retail diploma with a merit or above, you'll qualify for a place on one of our undergraduate degree courses. You will also qualify for one of our specialist Level 4 diplomas.
From this course, you can also start an apprenticeship or an entry-level industry role, such as stylist assistant, junior merchandiser or shop floor assistant.
University of the Arts London
Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Fashion Business and Retail
2 years, delivered over 2 days per week
This course is fully-funded for students aged 16-18
- 4 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above, including Maths and English (either Language or Literature)
For non-UK qualifications, please provide an ENIC Statement of Comparability.
If you're applying from a non-English speaking country, you'll need at least 5.5 overall and in each section of IELTS test for English language
Assessment is continuous throughout the course. You must pass each unit to progress to the next. Once you have passed all units in Terms 1 and 2, you'll move to the final units in Term 3. When you complete the course, you'll be graded at either Pass, Merit or Distinction.
After completing our online form, we'll process your application and send you the outcome by post and email in 5-10 working days. We process applications in the order we receive them, and offers are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If you have your exam results and you meet the course's entry requirements, you'll be given an unconditional offer.
- If you don't have your results yet, your offer will be conditional on you meeting the entry requirements.
Your place on the Level 3 Fashion Retail course is only secure after you have completed enrolment.
- End of Term: 30 June 2023
*Term Dates are subject to change
- Academic Transition Day First Year: 1 September 2023
- Academic Transition Day Second Year: 29 August 2023
- Term Start Date: 4 September
- End of Term: 18 December
- Winter Holidays: 18 December 2023 – 1 January 2024
- Term Start Date: 2 January 2024
- End of Term: 18 March
- Spring Holidays: 18 March - 7 April
- Term Starts: 8 April
- End of Term: 24 June 2024
*Term Dates are subject to change
From September 2024, the Fashion Retail Academy will be located at our new campus at Electra House near Liverpool Street, Central London.
The listed building is currently undergoing a £30 million refurbishment to give our students the facilities and spaces they need. Liverpool Street has excellent transport links to the rest of London and beyond, and Electra House is situated directly across from Moorgate tube station.
There will be:
- 8 floors (Electra House is double the size of our current campus)
- A bigger library and more workspaces
- 35 classrooms
- Bespoke studio spaces
- 6 lecture theatres
- Dedicated fashion design wing
- IT hub and self-service laptop lockers
- "Speakeasy" student common room and on-site cafe
- 2 specialist exhibition and event spaces
- Wellness spaces and communal areas
- Discovery nook
Students starting their course in September 2023 will start at our Gresse Street campus and move to Electra House for their second year. We will be there to support you throughout the transition, and provide any help and guidance wherever needed.
Click here for more information about Electra House and how our new campus will benefit you.
WE’RE OFSTED OUTSTANDING
Don’t just take our word for it – Ofsted has rated us as an officially outstanding college. Their report identified six areas of excellence.
Learners develop the highest-quality, industry-relevant skills.
A rich, varied curriculum and superb learning facilities.
Teaching is of the highest quality.
Progression into employment is exceptional.
Outstanding partnerships with employers and the fashion retail industry.
The achievement of learners is very high and for adult learners is exceptional.