1 A-Level & 5 GCSEs
16-18: Fully funded. 19+: £4,220 (Loans Available)
3 Week Work Placement
STUDY GARMENT TECHNOLOGY
Study the UK's only Level 4 Garment Technology diploma, and master the skills you need for a successful career as a garment technologist.
Discover the entire lifecycle of a clothing product, from initial development through to mass production. Working closely with designers, garment technologists help to bring their vision to life, informing production processes and fabric choice, whilst keeping production within budget and on time. Garment technologists also work to ensure consistency and quality across a range of product sizes and styles allowing fashion businesses to mass produce garments without compromising quality.
- Huge industry demand for professional garment technologists
- Develop the employability skills and knowledge you need for an entry-level role in fashion
- Get hands-on, practical experience to improve your creative abilities
IN HIGHER EDUCATION
All of our Level 4 Garment Technology students who opted to continue their studies progressed to higher education.
WORKING 25+ HOURS A WEEK
All of our Level 4 Garment Technology students who opted to move into the industry are now working 25+ hours a week.
FELT PREPARED FOR INDUSTRY
80% of our Level 4 Garment Technology students agreed that our teaching and support prepared them for industry.
Through my work placement at the Fashion Retail Academy, I secured a role with Karen Miller as a Product Development Assistant, which I am loving! The FRA taught me valuable skills, to be confident in my abilities, to network and to focus on the things I love to do.
India, Level 4 Garment Technology alumni and Product Development Assistant at Karen Millen
The Fashion Retail Academy provided me with exciting opportunities to meet industry professionals and participate in work placements and industry projects. These experiences allowed me to begin my career working for a company I love.
Katie, Level 4 Garment Technology alumni and Assistant Garment Technologist at ASOS
Studying at the Fashion Retail Academy changed my life. It opened doors for me to get experience in the industry and set me on a path to successfully start my own business.
Jaliyah, Level 4 Garment Technology
Studying our Level 4 Garment Technology diploma, you'll investigate the entire lifecycle of clothing products.
From initial development with designers and buyers, through to the fitting and testing process to mass production, you'll learn all the necessary skills to be a successful garment technologist.
Through hands-on classes in our sewing studio combined with academic lessons, we’ll teach you how to improve and refine garment designs. You’ll learn how to make products fit perfectly, and how to make details consistent across a large range of sizes and colours. We’ll teach you the techniques required for quality standards, making sure products are consistent when they reach stores.
You’ll explore how to work with garment samples. We’ll teach you how to balance designers' and buyers' creative visions with a brand's budget, fit and manufacturing standards. You’ll also learn about fabrics and materials, making sure that they are suitable for the designers' plans and meet styling, washing and caring requirements set by brands. You’ll develop your trend-forecasting skills, helping to inform these creative decisions.
Our Level 4 Garment Technology diploma course covers:
- Production Techniques: Discover different sewing methods, and monitor production stages. Examine fit requirements, construction techniques and production processes and learn how factories reach mass production volumes.
- Quality Assurance: Explore how to achieve consistency in garment production, and learn how to effectively audit and assess factories.
- Product Development for Fashion Retailing: Explore how digital technology has revolutionised the product development process. Examine the relationship between technical specification drawings and initial samples, and the importance of commercial design specifications. Learn about the critical path, and how design and buying teams work together to maximise product appeal.
- History and Context of Fashion Retail: Learn the history of fashion and the cultural factors which have shaped it over time. Develop critical thinking, analytical and academic writing skills.
- Preparation for Progression in Fashion Retail: Learn to identify exciting opportunities after graduation. Develop teamwork and presentation skills to support job applications and interviews.
Throughout our Level 4 Garment Technology course, you'll receive regular enrichment from our industry and retail partners. All of our tutors have previously worked in industry. We also work with over 140 major brands to bring students the widest breadth of knowledge and expertise.
We'll support you in developing a strong professional network that will aid you throughout your carer. You'll receive briefs and projects from brands that reflect the current industry landscape in order to gain real-world experience and develop valuable professional skills.
VISITING INDUSTRY EXPERTS
Throughout your course, you'll attend masterclasses and lectures from Visiting Industry Experts (VIEs). Our VIEs come from a range of top brands including Alexander McQueen, ASOS, Sweaty Betty and H&M.
You will be set tasks and projects that reflect the current requirements of the fashion industry. VIEs will provide you with feedback for your work and explain how their brand might react in a real-world situation. This helps give context to your studies, putting theoretical knowledge into practice.
You will also develop key professional skills including time management, prioritisation and teamwork.
THREE-WEEK work placement
During your course, you'll be given the opportunity to complete a three-week placement to gain valuable industry experience. You'll be assigned an industry manager who'll provide you with tasks to complete, giving you an understanding of a specific job role. You may be asked to work remotely or in the office, alone or as part of a small team. In some instances, you may also be asked to work across multiple areas of a business.
This three-week work placement is designed to help you develop practical and professional skills in order to boost your CV and put your theoretical knowledge into practice. Previous students have completed placements with Fortnum & Mason, Next, John Lewis, Whistles and Harvey Nichols.
After graduating Level 4, you’ll be ready to progress straight into an entry-level role as a Fashion Garment Technologist.
80% of our Level 4 Garment Technology students are in employment or further education within 6 months of finishing their course at the FRA.
After completing the course, you'll be eligible for a position as Fabric Technologist, Assistant Garment Technologist or Technical Assistant. There is huge demand for garment technologists in the fashion industry, with opportunities for rapid progression for strong candidates.
Previous graduating students have gone on to work for House of Fraser, New Look and ASOS.
Find out more about our Fashion Careers Service.
All our Level 4 specialist higher Diplomas come with our Job Guarantee.
We design our courses alongside our industry partners to teach you the skills and attributes you need to secure a job. So, if you’re not offered one within six months of completing your course, we’ll refund your course fees in full.
This offer applies to students who are paying privately or using the Advanced Learner Loan to fund their studies. If you secured a loan to pay for your course, we will not refund your loan interest.
See our Terms & Conditions for our full eligibility criteria.
University of the Arts London
Level 4 Diploma in Garment Technology for Fashion Retail
1 year, delivered over 2 days per week
- Fully-funded for students aged 18
- £4,220 per year for students aged 19+ - Advanced Learner Loans are available
- 1 A-level or the equivalent Level 3 qualification
- 5 GCSEs grade C/4 or above, including Maths and English
For non-UK qualifications, please provide an ENIC Statement of Comparability.
If you're applying from a non-English speaking country, you'll need at least 5.5 overall and in each section of IELTS test for English language
The course is 100% coursework via termly assignments that measure your knowledge and understanding.
After completing our online form, we'll process your application and send you the outcome by post and email in 5-10 working days. We process applications in the order we receive them, and offers are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If you have your exam results and you meet the course's entry requirements, you'll be given an unconditional offer.
- If you don't have your results yet, your offer will be conditional on you meeting the entry requirements.
Your place on the Level 4 Garment Technology course is only secure after you have completed enrolment.
- Academic Transition Day: 1 September 2022
- Term Start Date: 5 September
- Half Term: 24 – 28 October
- End of Term: 19 December
- Winter Holidays: 19 December 2022 – 2 January 2023
- Term Start Date: 2 January 2023
- End of Term: 31 March
- Spring Holidays: 3 – 14 April
- Term Starts: 17 April
- End of Term: 30 June 2023
*Term Dates are subject to change
- Academic Transition Day: 31 August 2023
- Term Start Date: 4 September
- End of Term: 18 December
- Winter Holidays: 18 December 2023 – 1 January 2024
- Term Start Date: 2 January 2024
- End of Term: 18 March
- Spring Holidays: 18 March - 7 April
- Term Starts: 8 April
- End of Term: 24 June 2024
*Term Dates are subject to change
LÆRKE ANNIKA THOMÉ - 'PHOEBE WANDERLUST'
Ruby, Louis & Nellie - 'Sustainability on the Island' - Industry Project 2022 in partnership with River Island
Fabric choice - linen
sustainable production methods - clo 3d